I had huge aspirations of posting last week but we got an awful cold…we seriously we’re useless. Which, let me just tell you, is darn near impossible with a healthy toddler! Tenley has just recently started to show some signs of our cold! Seriously, how does one tiny human being have so much energy, especially when we both were sick?!
While there was a good portion of carpet, what wasn’t carpet was tiled…tile which happened to have a little over an 1.5 inches of thinset!
For the first two rows of tile (for prior project, still not blogged about) we used Todds impact tools…it was hilarious and pathetic! Pretty much it pulled up the tile but didn’t come close to taking care of the whole thinset issue.
So, obviously that didn’t work.
Todd then thought a hand chisel would work…pretty much you don’t need to hear how that went other than lots of cussing and some smashed fingers. We also tried a sledge-hammer. That was painful and when Todd got tired I thought I’d be able to power through it, let’s just state the obvious..I’m not Popeye and Todd is obviously much stronger than I am.We wised up and asked our neighbor to borrow his Hilti, which during that phase of tile removal was the only smart thing we did.
We we’re really stupid and didn’t tarp anything. Awesome. Thin-set dust…all over our house.
So, that’s how it sat while we saved and worked on the other project. Two rows removed…just hanging out. You know, because we thought it’d totally be fine. But we realized that we didn’t have that much patience and ended up needing another hammer drill. This time we were a lot smarter about things, as in we tarped the crap out of everything, including the furniture!!
Todd and my dad took up the carpet and tile while Tenley and I weren’t home but from what I hear (and experienced afterwards) it was awful. I was super blessed to show up with it done and cleaned up!
Let me just say this…just in case you didn’t know. Living on the concrete it horrible! I swept, vacuumed and mopped so much and it was still always dirty. I’m totally lame and had no idea how dirty it would be! We lived with it like this for a week! Me being me, had told Todd we could live on it for longer. Fortunately for all of us he knew that wouldn’t work and waited till we had the least amount of time possible before ripping it up.
We laid the vapor barrier the day of and I would totally suggest the same, we trashed the barrier in the time we walked on it while installing. We then emptied all the boxes and sorted by design so we could ensure that when we laid out the floors there wasn’t any repetition. After hours of laying the floor they all started to look the same and we happened to have one style that there were TONS of so it made it a bit complicated to avoid!
We technically still haven’t finished! We still have some caulking to do and once it’s complete I will make sure to post some updates for you!